Daniel J. Dugan
Dan has been in practice since 1977, with the firm since 1982, and a member of the firm since 1987. He is managing partner and also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He concentrates his practice in trials and appeals involving all manner of commercial and business disputes, and he has extensive experience litigating before state and federal courts nationwide, including bankruptcy courts and Orphans court.
Noteworthy cases include:
- A unanimous verdict and judgment in Philadelphia federal court for $2.13 million in favor of a family owned business for the defendants’ violation of the federal RICO act, defendants ‘embezzlement of funds, diversion of sales from the customers, and breach of fiduciary duties to the company.
- Successful resolution of claims for over half a million dollars under fidelity bonds on behalf of family run companies whose employees had stolen funds from the companies.
- Summary judgment in favor of a local bank for nearly $10 million against an individual and several companies he controlled arising out of fraudulent loans to finance millions of dollars of equipment leases, a check kiting scheme, and violations of the federal RICO act.
- A $3.6 million jury verdict against a bank for its bad faith actions in refusing to close on an acquisition and construction loan it had agreed to make in connection with a planned development in Bucks County.
- A $4 million plus judgment in a legal malpractice action in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas;
- The successful resolution of a $10 million plus claim for life insurance proceeds on behalf of a client whose wife drowned in the Ganges River, India. The claims involved numerous insurance companies and the litigation was in both state and federal courts in Philadelphia and required the taking of numerous depositions in India. After obtaining a verdict in favor of his client in federal court, Mr. Dugan negotiated a successful settlement with the remaining insurers in state court.
Dan regularly represents individuals, families and businesses in all types of disputes. In addition to the sampling of cases described above, Dan has advised clients on and litigated cases involving intellectual property, breaches of contract, lender liability, commercial real estate matters (lease violations, title disputes, and mortgage foreclosures) , construction disputes, employment (such as wrongful termination, age, sex and race discrimination claims and enforcement of restrictive covenants), civil rights, bankruptcy litigation, estate litigation, unfair competition, and securities law, fraud. He has been regularly selected as a Super Lawyer since 2010.
Dugan has been named as one of Pennsylvania’s Most Effective Dealmakers by The Legal Intelligencer, the oldest law journal in the United States. Dugan is just one of six attorneys statewide to be selected for the honor as part of the 2021 Pennsylvania Legal Awards.
Dan started his career in Washington, D.C. in private practice representing businesses and individuals in litigation in state and federal courts on matters ranging from application of energy-related regulations to defamation. After graduating from Duke Law School he clerked for the Honorable Oren R. Lewis, United States District Court Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia at Alexandria.
Dan is admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court and many federal and state courts throughout the country. He has also on the board of Bridlewild Trials Association in Gladwyn and is active in the Church of the Holy Apostles, Penn Wynne.
- Duke University School of Law J.D. 1976
- St. Joseph’s College A.B. 1973, Magna Cum Laude
- Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights
- Commercial Litigation
- Estates and Trusts
- Financial Institution Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Estate Related Litigation
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Pennsylvania, 1983
- Virginia, 1977
- North Carolina, 1976
- District of Columbia, 1977
- Ohio, 2015
- New Jersey, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court