Real estate is much more than bricks and mortar. Behind every project are buyers and sellers, leases and titles, financing and development. The stakes are high, the processes complex. Our Real Estate Group is focused on helping clients make the best possible decisions to achieve the most successful deals, whether the property in question is a chocolate factory, a shopping center, an office building, a single family residential development, or a condominium.
We have represented a wide array of local, regional, and national owners and developers of condominiums, shopping centers, office parks, and residential projects. Institutional and individual clients involved in residential, retail, industrial, and other commercial real estate ventures throughout the United States turn to SGR for expertise and execution in real estate matters.
Regional and national clients include financial institutions in connection with their construction, interim and permanent lending activities. Our real estate attorneys are also experienced in representing institutional lenders and borrowers in the area of loan workouts and related matters including loan restructurings, asset acquisitions, and inter-creditor relations. We are also experts at handling legal issues applicable to real estate development projects with multi-tiered financing arrangements, requiring sophisticated analysis to integrate debt, equity and near debt/near equity combinations, including Federal Historic Credits and/or Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits.
Our Real Estate Group shapes solutions that minimize client risk and, in many cases, improve client profitability. We focus on practical and cost-effective strategies, and we pride ourselves on being problem solvers and on working in partnership with our clients at all times.
Typical recent matters include:
- The sale and purchase of multi-property multi-state shopping centers on behalf of developers and other investors involving fee and leasehold estates
- Representation of developers and lenders in multi-property, multi-state financing and conduit financing
- Extensive retail and office lease negotiating on behalf of landlords with major national and regional tenants
- Negotiating major airline concessionaire agreements for national U.S. airports
- Handling restructuring of distressed property both for owners and lenders
- Representing clients in condemnation proceedings
- Representing developers and owners in zoning and subdivision matters
- Representing lenders and owners in state and federal finance projects
Real Estate Litigation
When it comes to real estate, time is money. From regional REITs to Fortune 500 companies, clients benefit from our understanding of their challenges, built from decades of work within the real estate industry. In each case that we handle, our representation is strengthened by our own experience and by the knowledge and experience contributed by our colleagues throughout the firm.
Our team of litigators represents developers of retail, commercial and residential real estate, as well as property managers, multi-site tenants, and contractors. Representative matters range from lease interpretation and adjoining property disputes to partnership dissolution and investor relations.
In addition, our lawyers preach what they practice. As members of the International Council of Shopping Centers, we attend and speak at conferences, and publish on breaking trends and developments in the field.
Representative cases include:
- Lease Enforcement
- Project Development
- Partnership Disputes
- Title Disputes
- Labor Picketing & Public Access
- Construction Claims
- Financing and Investor Disputes